After an intense working week the 16 candidates braced themselves to meet with this week’s Proof of Concept Jury that included the world renowned Dr. Fouad El Baz and Dr. Eyad Masad from Texas A&M University at Qatar alongside permanent Jury members Mr. Rashed Ibrahim, Dr. Fouad Mrad.
The 16 candidates took their seats facing the jury members while the audience was present in the studio to support them. Host Khaled Jumaily was also there to encourage them too. Each candidate presented the evolution of the innovative idea during the Proof of Concept phase. The Jury didn’t hold back with Dr. Farouk El Baz personally testing Ahmad Al Ghazi’s motorized walker and lifter for the elderly & Dr. Fouad requesting Abdullah Chakroun be given a second chance to reassemble his square rotary diesel engine, for another chance to prove it is fully functional.
After 16 presentations & deliberations, the results were out. Only 10 candidates from the initial 16 who were shortlisted from the 7,000 applicants at the start of the competition were selected to stay on the program having proved that their ideas are sustainable for the next phase of Engineering. Winners from this phase included:
- Abdallah Abou Zeid who scored highest with 99 points, for his robotic rotational joint with 2-degrees of freedom.
- Hind Hobeika, who gained 91 points, swimming goggles that measure swimmers heart rate with real time alert.
- Iyad Maalouf, 89 Points, biopsy extraction device with virtual alignment that reduces the amount of exposure to radiation
- Marwen Ben Saleh, secured his top 3 place with 89 points for his all-wheel drive pneumatic bicycle.
- Ashraf El Jerbi, as close as a hair to Marwan with 89 points, for his GPS with laser and sonic sensors to help Blind people walk safely outdoors.
- Sadeq Kassem got 88 points, for his automated multi-functional lab tester for oil samples.
- Ahmad Al Ghazi, secured 88 points, for his motorized walker and lifter for the elderly and handicapped.
- Anis Al Sobhi, walked away with 87 points, for his motorized shopping trolley and lifter for elderly and disabled users.
- And the final place went to Maha Al Amro, who got 85 points, & will now get to work on her portable air conditioning vest for field workers.
Well done to all the 10 candidates who will now be joined by their Project Partners and the very best of luck to Jenan Al Shehab, Brahim Sidikki, Ahmad Al Khater, Mohammed Faytoury, Abdullah Chakroun and Hesham Shaker.
Don’t miss next week’s Engineering episode when the candidates & their partners will compete to secure one of only 6 places left.